Kevin Brosius on Tue, 21 Aug 2001 19:10:11 +0200

3com inet (was Re: [PLUG] Hey)

"Jarvis, John" wrote:

> Hi, my name is JOhn and I also live up near philly (king of prussia).
> Besides this list being very concerned with whether bouncing html msgs is
> appropiate there hasn't been much linux discussion. :)
>
> I have a linux question though.. (sorry if questions like this are not
> apropriate for the list, but I think (hope) that this msg does not contain
> html :) )
> For whatever reason something happend going from kernel 2.2.19 to 2.4.9 to
> cause my 3com 3c509 ethernet card to not work.
> The 3c509 module loads correctly with 2.4.9 (i see the device correctly
> configured and whatnot when i do an ifconfig) but I cannot ping any ohter
> machine on my network.  If I switch to kernel version 2.2.19 with exactly
> the same module it works fine!  Go figure.
> Anyway, my question.. are there usually version numbers associated with
> kernel modules and if so how do you find out what they are?
> Nothing in Documentation/modules.txt and nothing in modinfo gave me any
> indication of a way to query a version number (modinfo gives me usage
> parameters and whatnot)
> Granted I can look at the source code for the module in the two linux kernel
> versions to see if anything changed but is there any other way?
>
> Thanks,
> John

If it's UP in ifconfig, and appears otherwise working, I'd guess you
really have a routing or connectivity problem instead.

Does 'route' look correct?  Also, does the /var/log/messages info for
your 3com module look okay from when it loads the module?

--
Kevin Brosius