LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 23 Aug 2001 16:20:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Hey

Modual versions
When compiling the kernel and you run make modules and finally run make
modules_install the modules will end up in /lib/modules/2.?.?

Also when compiling a kernel make sure that you use the same .config
that you used for the old kernel.  I like to save .configs up one level
from the kernel source like hostname-version.config.  This way when I
make any changes to a kernel I have a previous copy if something goes
wrong.

Finally, there is some flakeness with the 2.4 series.  2.4.3 worked fine
on one older box, but all of the later versions would not even boot
unless you added append="nomce" even though the box has an ancient P75
chip.  Alan Cox told me that there are problems when he added
bluesmoke.c to the kernel with older pentiums.

BTW this list was origonally created for linux discussion, questions and
information just like you are asking.

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <