Bill Jonas on Wed, 22 Aug 2001 22:40:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] dial up unix

On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:48:06PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Does anyone know if there are any cheap and decent dial up accounts on a
> unix server for email and maybe a bit of lynx and apt-get? It needs to
> 'support' linux or should I say, it needs to not ban linux.
> I thought I saw something like this before. It can't be long distance, of
> course.

Netaxs (disclaimer: my former employer) sells dialup shell accounts as
well as dialup SLIP/PPP accounts.  One note: assuming you do a SLIP/PPP
account, you'll want to set things up so that you use PAP/CHAP
authentication, as opposed to scripting your login.  The reason is that
some of their terminal servers have one menu and other terminal servers
have another.

While they don't make guarantees that they'll be able to help you get
your dialup set up properly, I know that some of the support staff use
Linux themselves and will be able to provide tech support for Linux
dialup (assuming you need it) on a best-effort basis.

See also:
http://www.netaxs.com/products/dialup.html
http://www.speakeasy.net/low/main.php?page=res_other
http://www.phillylinux.org/isps/ (may be a bit out of date)

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin