Arthur Alexion on Wed, 22 Aug 2001 23:50:09 +0200

Re: [PLUG] dial up unix

I don't know prices, but my current dial-up provider, Netreach
(www.netreach.net), was very helpful in helping me set up my Linux
dial-up PPP.  Before that, I was with Fishnet (www.pond.com)  Their
entire setup was Linux on Cobalt.  Service for everything really declined
from 1994 to 2000, when I left, but the Linux service was as good as it
was for other OSs.  I hear they have gotten their act together again, but
I'm not sure.

Art

On 8/22/01, 4:35:55 PM, Bill Jonas <bill@billjonas.com> wrote regarding Re:
[PLUG] dial up unix:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2001 at 03:48:06PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > Does anyone know if there are any cheap and decent dial up accounts on a
> > unix server for email and maybe a bit of lynx and apt-get? It needs to
> > 'support' linux or should I say, it needs to not ban linux.
> > I thought I saw something like this before. It can't be long distance, of
> > course.

> Netaxs (disclaimer: my former employer) sells dialup shell accounts as
> well as dialup SLIP/PPP accounts.  One note: assuming you do a SLIP/PPP
> account, you'll want to set things up so that you use PAP/CHAP
> authentication, as opposed to scripting your login.  The reason is that
> some of their terminal servers have one menu and other terminal servers
> have another.

> While they don't make guarantees that they'll be able to help you get
> your dialup set up properly, I know that some of the support staff use
> Linux themselves and will be able to provide tech support for Linux
> dialup (assuming you need it) on a best-effort basis.

Art Alexion                       mailto:arthur@alexion.com
Arthur S. Alexion LLC                http://www.alexion.com
Click
    http://signature.coola.com/?arthur@alexion.com