Jeff Abrahamson on Tue, 28 Aug 2001 15:40:17 +0200

[PLUG] debian package version

How do I tell what version of a package I would install if I
apt-get'ed it, without apt-getting it?

More important, how do I tell what the unstable version is without
switching to unstable?

If I switch to unstable (by s/stable/unstable/g in
/etc/apt/sources.list) and do

    apt-get update
    apt-get upgrade
    apt-get dist-upgrade

and then switch sources.list back to stable, will I just sort of stay
put until stable begins to point to the new thing, presumably in a few
months?

Background:

I'm trying to start using gnucash. I need multicurrency support, much
improved in 1.6. Stable is gnucash 1.3.4. I'm hoping unstable might be
1.6 and that I could upgrade. But I really don't want to do anything
that makes my machine unusable. I tend to be quite conservative with
my computer when it comes to base libraries and such. And gnucash 1.6
upgrades a lot of libs.

Thanks.

--
 Jeff