Darxus on Thu, 30 Aug 2001 07:10:14 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Does restricting partial words weaken passwords?

On 08/29, Dave Turner wrote:
> Chance of password of n characters containing part of a dictionary word:
> 3 = 42.75%

I'd love to see your calculations.

On 08/29, Bill Jonas wrote:
> bj@epoch:~$ grep -c '^........$' /usr/share/dict/words
> 7076

> 7076/208827064576
> .0000000338

That's just the percentage of passwords that exactly match dictionary
words, not the number of passwords that contain dictionary words.

I believe we all agree that, say, the number of possible lowercase,
alphabetic-only possibiilties in an exactly 6 character password is 26^6.

26^6
308915776

I wrote a simple program to spit out all those 26^6 possibilities,
called allpass.pl.  Then I did:

perl -e 'while (<>) { print lc; }' < /usr/share/dict/words | sort | uniq | grep '^.\{3,6\}$' > dict.lc.uniq.3-6

to generate a file called dict.lc.uniq.3-6 containing all 3 to 6 character
passwords in the (debian american english v2.0-1) dictionary file, lowercased.

Then I did:

/usr/bin/time ./allpass.pl | fgrep -vf dict.lc.uniq.3-6 > nodict.txt

(It took 18:31.75elapsed on my 1.4ghz athlon)

$ wc -l nodict.txt
271773081

271773081*100/308915776
87.97643309741487595635

100-87.97643309741487595635
12.02356690258512404365

So in this very limited case (exactly 6 character passwords, containing
only lowercase letters), eliminating all possibilities that contain
dictionary words that are 3 characters or longer elminates 12% of the
possibilities.

This is interesting, but I think we all agree that passwords which are more
affected by this problem (limited (alphabetic only) character sets) stand no
chance against a brute force attacks to begin with.  If you disagree with
me, feed such a password to l0phtcrack or crack
(ftp://ftp.cerias.purdue.edu/pub/tools/unix/pwdutils/crack/crack5.0.README).
They both exist to (among other things) verify that none of your users are
using dumb passwords.  They also happen to be among the best tools to crack
passwords.

Crack is a beautiful thing.  How many programs do you know of that
recompile themselves on the fly to take advantage of the speed increase of
defines over variables ?  ..distributed across multiple crossplatform
servers, simultaneously.

--
http://www.ChaosReigns.com