Jeff Abrahamson on Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:10:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian && !gnumeric ?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 09:46:40PM -0400, Greg Lopp wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:36:49PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> > I'm running debian testing (woody).
> >
> > And so it comes to pass: gnumeric depends on libgal4, but libgal4
> > doesn't exist. Does this make sense? Is something amiss? Gnumeric
> > seems pretty fundamental.
> >
> > Do other people here use gnumeric with debian testing?
> >
> > -Jeff
>
> [...]
> Meanwhile, ximian's maintainers have given up trying to keep up
> with the changing set of libs in the testing and unstable
> distributions, supporting only stable.  They, however, are
> offering things like libgal4 and gnumeric compiled against
> libgal7.  With "deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main"
> in /etc/apt/sources.list, you should be able to get gnumeric 0.67
> (not the latest, but far better than the 0.40 you had in stable
> before)
>
> Lastly, gnumeric's web pages say that one Vincent Renardias is
> maintaining current debs for the project.  I just can't find where.

Hmm. Last time I tried to upgrade to ximian gnome, I was running
stable and I found myself with a lot of fixing to do to get out of the
broken state they left me in.

Now I've moved to testing and I find that ximian doesn't support
testing. Given that they "support" stable and things went so far
south, I'm not sure I trust them very much. I had great success with
them on RedHat and derivatives, but not so much on debian.

I wonder if this was a fluke. I used their redcarpet tool instead of
entering the appropriate deb line in sources.list. I figured it was
just a gui wrapper.

I wish I could upgrade just a single user to various unstable
things. I could do this by downloading and compiling source for the
couple apps (and myriad libraries they require), configuring with
--prefix=$HOME/local. Then only that user is affected and I don't risk
destabilizing my machine. Somewhat daunting, since the number of
libraries to upgrade is going to be high, I suspect. Yeah, that's a
whine. ;-)

I wonder why the ximian folks don't cooperate better with debian and
get stuff into testing. Oh, right, they want to make money by charging
us for redcarpet...

--
 Jeff