Greg Lopp on Wed, 5 Sep 2001 03:50:27 +0200

Re: [PLUG] debian && !gnumeric ?

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 10:36:49PM +0200, Jeff Abrahamson wrote:
> I'm running debian testing (woody).
>
> And so it comes to pass: gnumeric depends on libgal4, but libgal4
> doesn't exist. Does this make sense? Is something amiss? Gnumeric
> seems pretty fundamental.
>
> Do other people here use gnumeric with debian testing?
>
> -Jeff

I've noticed that some of the gnome libraries tend to include the
version number in the package name.  libgal is one,
libgnomeprint is another.  The official debian maintainers have
ceased to provide some older version, but the depenencies won't
recognize that libgal11 is a more recent version of libgal4.
Maybe there is a good reason for this, like the API changes
significantly, I don't know.

Meanwhile, ximian's maintainers have given up trying to keep up
with the changing set of libs in the testing and unstable
distributions, supporting only stable.  They, however, are
offering things like libgal4 and gnumeric compiled against
libgal7.  With "deb http://red-carpet.ximian.com/debian stable main"
in /etc/apt/sources.list, you should be able to get gnumeric 0.67
(not the latest, but far better than the 0.40 you had in stable
before)

Lastly, gnumeric's web pages say that one Vincent Renardias is
maintaining current debs for the project.  I just can't find where.

Greg