Greg Lopp on Thu, 6 Sep 2001 06:50:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] x-connect

On Wed, Sep 05, 2001 at 07:12:26PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> > just type 'xhost +localhost' once from an xterm as your regular user. this
> > just tells X to allow the specified hosts (in this case, localhost) to
> > display X programs on your desktop.
>
> I just tried that. If it worked, I was going to drop this into xinitrc,
> but it didn't work even AFTER I was putting it in .xinitrc.
>
> Fred

You're having some problem between the "owner" of the
Xsession/root window and the uid of your running app.
"xhost +localhost" probably failed because you tried to run it
from that terminal and all our other data says that the uid in
the terminal and the owner of the Xsession are not the same.

Questions :
1) what is the value of your $DISPLAY var?
2) What does your process tree look like near your startx call?
For example, if I type "ps axfu", I can see something like :
greg    352  [bash]
greg    397   \_ [startx]
greg    402       \_ [xinit]
root    403           \_ X :0 -auth /home/greg/.Xauthority
greg    406           \_ [sh]
greg    407               \_ gnome-session

(lots of triming done there)  I can see that user greg called
startx and the .Xauthority file which controls this Xsession is
in his home directory.  Are there other users mixed into your processes?
3) Where is the .Xauthority file for your Xsession?  Does it it
have -rw------- permissions and a date matching the startx call?
4) What's the process tree of your terminal?

what else to ask......