ian reinhart geiser on Tue, 11 Sep 2001 01:50:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Fwd: Epochal question

Not to toot the Open Source horn too much but there was a small bug in an
open source utility that the KDE project uses.  It messed up how dates where
being sorted.   The cool thing was it was fixed in a matter of minutes.  If
this would have been a commercial closed source project it may have taken
days just to discover and fix.

The bug was discovered on Monday at 9:01 am in germany, and was fixed about
the same time. :)  Unlike closed source projects that fix bugs only when
enough collateral damage takes place (AKA Code Red Virus, etc), Open Source
can be audited at any time and bugs can be fixed before they are a problem.
This means very little to users but for cooperations that have staff
developers and complex systems this kind of turnaround time can be meaningful.

This was a use net news reader that exhibited this bug and no data was lost.
This is an example though how peer review can help deliver safer software.

Just a thought.

- -ian reinhart geiser

On Monday 10 September 2001 07:28 pm, Darxus@chaosreigns.com wrote:
> ----- Forwarded message from "Kanaley, Reid" <Reid.Kanaley@phillynews.com>
> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 16:14:23 -0400
> From: "Kanaley, Reid" <Reid.Kanaley@phillynews.com>
> To: darxus@chaosreigns.com
> Subject: Epochal question
>
> Hi.
>  I'm a writer at the Philadelphia Inquirer. Right now I'm trying to find
> out if there are any unusual problems related to the weekend's 1 billion
> second turnover on the Unix/linux clock. Can you help? We apparently had a
> software problem here at the newspaper. Can you give me a call, or respond
> with a phone nubmer and name? Thanks a lot.
> Reid Kanaley
>
> Yours, etc.,
>
> Reid Kanaley, staff writer, Philadelphia Inquirer
> 400 N. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19130
> 215.854.5026 (fax 215.854.5553)
> reid.kanaley@phillynews.com
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

- --
The less time planning, the more time programming.