Kevin Brosius on Tue, 11 Sep 2001 16:10:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Help Getting Started Linux Development

Steve Arone wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm new to Linux and I would like to start learning
> how to develop applications using the miriad of tools
> available for Linux development.
>
> I've been "poisoned" by Microsoft in that my
> background is MS Access and VB.
>
> Where would you suggest I start my re-education?  I
> installed Mandrake and have played around with QT and
> also tried to compile a "hello world" with gcc (did't
> work, couldn't find iostream.h)
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Steve Arone

Hi Steve,
  I was recently trying to make a basic X11 application along with
learning some new window manager libraries.  I wrapped up some very
basic source code in C and put it up at
http://www.user1.netcarrier.com/~kbrosius/pages/elibs1.html.  It's
biased towards the enlightenment development libraries, but the first
example is very basic (as far as X11 goes ;-) ) and you can remove the
Imlib2 parts if you want to try a simple window app.

--
Kevin Brosius