JP Toto on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:30:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] plug meeting tonight ?

> > > TRIBUTE TO THE UNITED STATES
> > >
> > > This, from a Canadian newspaper, it's worth
sharing.
> > > Widespread but only partial news coverage was
given
> > > recently to a remarkable editorial broadcast
from
> > > Toronto by Gordon Sinclair, a Canadian
television
> > > Commentator. What follows is the full text of
his
> > > trenchant remarks as printed in the
Congressional
> > > Record:
> > > America: The Good Neighbor.
> > >
> > > "This Canadian thinks it is time to speak up for
the
> > > Americans as the most generous and possibly the
> > > least appreciated people on all the earth.
Germany,
> > > Japan and, to a lesser extent, Britain and Italy
> > > were lifted out of the debris of war by the
> > > Americans who poured in billions of dollars and
> > > forgave other billions in debts.
> > >
> > > None of these countries is today paying even the
> > > interest on its remaining debts to the United
> > > States. When France was in danger of collapsing
in
> > > 1956, it was the Americans who propped it up,
and
> > > their reward was to be insulted and swindled on
the
> > > streets of Paris. I was there. I saw it.
> > >
> > > When earthquakes hit distant cities, it is the
> > > United States that hurries in to help. This
spring,
> > > 59 American communities were flattened by
tornadoes.
> > > Nobody helped. The Marshall Plan and the Truman
> > > Policy pumped billions of dollars into
discouraged
> > > countries. Now newspapers in those countries are
> > > writing about the decadent, war mongering
Americans.

> > > I'd like to see just one of those countries that
is
> > > gloating over the erosion of the United States
> > > dollar build its own airplane. Does any other
> > > country in the world have a plane to equal the
> > > Boeing Jumbo Jet, the Lockheed Tri-Star, or the
> > > Douglas DC10?
> > >
> > > If so, why don't they fly them? Why do all the
> > > International lines except Russia fly American
> > > Planes? Why does no other land on earth even
> > > consider putting a man or woman on the moon? You
> > > talk about Japanese technocracy, and you get
radios.
> > > You talk about German technocracy, and you get
> > > automobiles. You talk about American
technocracy,
> > > and you find men on the moon - not once, but
several
> > > times - and safely home again.
> > >
> > > You talk about scandals, and the Americans put
> > > theirs right in the store window for everybody
> > > look at. Even their draft-dodgers are not
pursued
> > > and hounded. They are here on our streets, and
most
> > > of them, unless they are breaking Canadian laws,
are
> > > getting American dollars from ma and pa at home
> > > spend here.
> > >
> > > When the railways of France, Germany and India
were
> > > breaking down through age, it was the Americans
who
> > > rebuilt them. When the Pennsylvania Railroad and
the
> > > New York Central went broke, nobody loaned them
an
> > > old caboose. Both are still broke.
> > >
> > > I can name you 5000 times when the Americans
raced
> > > to the help of other people in trouble. Can you
name
> > > me even one time when someone else raced to the
> > > Americans in trouble? I don't think there was
> > > outside help even during the San Francisco
> > > earthquake.
> > >
> > > Our neighbors have faced it alone, and I'm one
> > > Canadian who is damned tired of hearing them get
> > > kicked around. They will come out of this thing
> > > with their flag high. And when they do, they are
> > > entitled to thumb their nose at the lands that
are
> > > gloating over their present troubles. I hope
Canada
> > > is not one of those."
> > >
> > > Stand proud, America! Wear it proudly!!
> > >
> > > This is one of the best editorials that I have
ever
> > > read regarding the United States. It is nice
that
> > > one man realizes it. I only wish that the rest
of
> > > the world would realize it. We are always blamed
for
> > > everything, and never even get a thank you for
the
> > > things we do.
> > >
> > > I would hope that each of you would send this to
as
> > > many people as you can and emphasize that they
> > > should send it to as many of their friends until
> > > this letter is sent to every person on the web.
I am