Dave Turner on Thu, 13 Sep 2001 15:10:08 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Free code base of longitude and latitude for geographiclocations - US

multiple seriousity wrote:

> On Fri, 7 Sep 2001, Dave Turner wrote:
>
> > Adam Turoff wrote:
> > > How magnanamous.  It looks like this file comes from the Census or
> > > the US Post Office -- free data already in the public domain.
> > All data is in the public domain.  See Feist Publications v. Rural Telephone
> > service for details.
>
> Yes, but with the UCITA and DMCA, who knows?
>
> Hey, we 'added value' hmmm... something tells me I want to look up this
> ruling... yes yes, I know people will say 'google' but does anybody
> (you?) want to recommend the best page explaining/detailing this
> ruling? (After all, if you're going to say "see.." you might as well tell
> us where we can see it.

http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=499&invol=340

Quotes:

"Rural's white pages are not entitled to copyright, and therefore Feist's use
of them does not constitute infringement"

"As a statutory matter, 17 U.S.C. 101 does not afford protection [499 U.S.
340, 364] from copying to a collection of facts that are selected,
coordinated, and arranged in a way that utterly lacks originality"

"Lower courts that adopted a "sweat of the brow" or "industrious collection"
test - which extended a compilation's copyright protection beyond selection
and arrangement to the facts themselves - misconstrued the 1909 Act and
eschewed the fundamental axiom of copyright law that no one may copyright
facts or ideas."

--
-[Dave Turner                 Stalk me:  (215)-545-2859]