gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 14 Sep 2001 14:50:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] SSSCA and Crypto back door thoughts

On Thu, Sep 13, 2001 at 10:56:46PM -0400, ian reinhart geiser wrote:
> One thought always keeps coming back into my mind:
> 1932... fire in the Reichstag... public panic...  man comes forward offering
> to give them the order they desire...  12 years later 4 million Jews are
> dead...

You're not the first person I know to point this out. (The first, in
response to a "What do you think this means?" question on another
mailing list, just said, "Two words: Reichstag Fire.")

It's scary. I'd like to think it's not likely that the US would do
to any social group what Hitler did to the Jewish population. On the
other hand, we already did at the end of World War II. A different
time, perhaps, but nearly identical emotions. It doesn't make me
more calm that people are comparing this to Pearl Harbor. The
similarity of these attacks and a final Zero strike can't go
unnoticed forever either.

> civil liberty is not in immediate crisis here, but it is being evaluated.

Some would say it's already been decayed enough that something like
this is just what certain forces in the US government need to push
it over the edge.

> if we make encryption with back doors only the criminals will
> use backdoorless encryption.

The hell with that. The government can see my encrypted files when
they can break 4096-bit PGP encryption just like everybody else.

Anyway, what would they want with my porn collection? ;^>

(Those of you who don't think humor is a appropriate can just go
back and read my first few paragraphs again.)

> p.s. has anyone seen if there are any technical things the PLUG can do for NY
> or DC?  We have a fair amount of DB expertice, we may be able to help collate
> the info they have.

Judging by the vast number of similar offers I've seen go past on
the sun-managers mailing list, I think you, like the doctors who'd
love to do cardiac or pulminary surgery if only there were anyone
alive enough to need it, might be on a large bandwagon to a small
watering hole.

Go have a look at http://www.fema.gov/nwz01/nwz01_103.htm. Sounds
like what's needed now is money, not more hands.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net