Paul on Wed, 26 Sep 2001 17:50:11 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Is now the time for Linux on the desktop advocacy?

The Company starting bringing Linux in and I wanted it too. They opposed the use
of Linux by lowly technicians. Actually, they were afraid we would cause trouble
on thier insecure network. In fact, I learned how to gain root access to thier
NFS exports among other things.

I was able to use Citrix on my desktop without the client software, which
Windows requires. And since most of the environment is UNIX based, I was able to
do just about everything with Linux.

I had to install Linux "unofficially", which my boss never really complained
about. The official policy is no root access on your own Linux PC. Well, without
root access, you might as well have a dumb terminal! Oh, that's another thing. I
showed them how I cold gain root access to thier PCs anyway. Using LILO, and
having physical access to the PC, makes it too easy. So, when I set up my PC, I
had a physical lock on it, a password to get into the BIOS, a LILO password, and
I disabled floppy booting.

One mistake I made was to use NIS. An administrator was able to get in as root.
After that, I stopped using NIS!

Overall, I had a fun and functional Linux experience.