Kevin Brosius on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 15:00:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> No. rsync is not a good way to transfer files (espeically not
> single, large archives). It's a pretty good way to keep directory
> trees in sync, which is totally not the same thing. And it's not
> really all that good a way to do that once your directory tree gets
> to a certain size. (The act of running the rsync algorithm on, say,
> the entire NetBSD source tree to get it to anoncvs mirrors takes
> a ridiculous amount of time. I'm intimately familiar with this, as
> I've been hacking together a better way to do the same thing.)

Have you looked at cvsup?  It's designed specifically for syncing CVS
repositories (and other things) across the wire.  It's a lot better than
rsync from what I've heard.  (XFree86 uses it, allowing developers to
maintain a local CVS repository fairly painlessly.  It's also the
FreeBSD CVS mirror sight update tool.)

--
Kevin Brosius