gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:10:12 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:51:34AM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> Have you looked at cvsup?  It's designed specifically for syncing CVS
> repositories (and other things) across the wire.  It's a lot better than
> rsync from what I've heard.  (XFree86 uses it, allowing developers to
> maintain a local CVS repository fairly painlessly.  It's also the
> FreeBSD CVS mirror sight update tool.)

I'm not sure you grasp the scale here. I'm doing this for the NetBSD
central and anoncvs repositories. Plenty of people use cvsup (which
is really just a cvs update command, which is even more expensive
than rsync), but we don't want to schedule syncs, we want the commit
action to make the changes appear in the anoncvs repositories
quasi-immediately.

The basic principle is to run a private nntp network using a few
news groups to post patches as they are committed to the central
repository. When the anoncvs mirrors see that post, they
automatically update themselves. You may think of Usenet as slow,
but it really wasn't in the early days, when it certainly got
about as many articles as we'll see (especially if commits of a lot
of stuff are clustered into a single post) out to the rest of the
world's newsfeeds in just a few seconds.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net