Chris Beggy on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 17:30:21 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 08:51:34AM -0400, Kevin Brosius wrote:
> > Have you looked at cvsup?  It's designed specifically for syncing CVS
>
> The basic principle is to run a private nntp network using a few
> news groups to post patches as they are committed to the central
> repository. When the anoncvs mirrors see that post, they
> automatically update themselves. You may think of Usenet as slow,

This sounds very exciting, and I'm sure I don't see all of the
complications...but I won't let that stop me from having an
opinion.

Doesn't the anoncvs host have most of the information it needs
when it sees the post?  You (or some other project member) have
already written a client to parse the nntp traffic on each of the
anoncvs hosts.  Can the client also do a local cvs commit of the
patch in the post, rather than some kind of cvs update or remote
sync?

Chris