Kevin Brosius on Thu, 27 Sep 2001 16:50:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Backup Options

gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 10:06:05AM -0400, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > I'm not sure you grasp the scale here.
>
> Scratch that. Rereading your post you definitely grasp the scale,
> and I should have actually looked at what CVSup was before I went
> talking about what it wasn't.
>
> This biggest problem I see with CVSup and NetBSD is that it seems to
> be distributed in binary form, available only for the i386 port. A
> little investigation shows that its source is written in Modula-3 (a
> truly spooky language, though kind of neat). You might note that

Yes, this is a problem.  I was exchanging some mail with the cvsup
maintainer recently about the possibility of a C/C++ port, but it's a
very large task (40,000+ lines of code).

>   http://www.research.compaq.com/SRC/modula-3/html/platforms.html
>   !=
>   http://www.netbsd.org/Ports/
>
> Anything that platform-specific really can't be used with NetBSD.
>
> Also, it's been made clear to me (by those who suggested the method
> I'm using) that we don't want a client-pull kind of thing. The
> commit action needs to trigger something being pushed, even if the
> every client doesn't handle the result immediately (those who can,
> will).

This is an interesting method of update.  I don't think I've heard it
discussed before.  Looking at your other message about news servers, I
wouldn't think of them as slow, and that seems like a reasonable model
to follow.  How will you address loss of traffic?  If it's a private
network, I'd guess you'll be better off, but will you allow clients some
method of updating when they go offline for some period of time and miss
messages?  (Not that going offline always looses messages, but you need
a way to re-synch when some traffic gets lost.)

--
Kevin Brosius