gabriel rosenkoetter on Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:20:13 +0200

Re: [PLUG] a different SSH question & moderated posts

[I've reformatted your text. It'd be nice if you could wrape your
lines around 70 columns or so. It makes it much easier to read and
respond to your email in standard Unix pagers and editors.]

On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 03:34:24PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> Do I have to use ssh-agent explicitly? As far as I know, I don't
> use ssh-agent. I just do "ssh username@domain.name".

Oh, no, no you don't have to use ssh-agent. I just sort of presume
that folks don't like retyping their passphrase any more than I do,
but maybe not everyone is quite so paranoid about it as I am as
regards its length.

Then I revert to the idea that something changed in the sshd's
config that led it to not ask for the passphrase. If you run into
this again, you should do ssh -v -v -v and see what login methods
are attempted and why public key authentication failed or was
rejected.

> Maybe after I logged in while having the "x" bit set it saved
> something, maybe until something gets restarted, like the server,
> the sshd process, or my PC?

No. None of these files are not even opened for writing during the
login process.

> I don't have access to /etc/sshd_config on the remote systems,
> and I didn't modify my .ssh/config file. Actually, I don't have a
> config file in .ssh.

You should. Here's a minimal one:

Host *
  ForwardX11 no