Paul on Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:50:16 +0200

Re: [PLUG] a different SSH question & moderated posts

> On Wed, Sep 26, 2001 at 06:06:11PM -0400, Paul wrote:
> > Now it seems you're correct. The other day it would prompt me
> > for a password unless I set the auth* files to read and execute.
> > Now it doesn't care.
>
> Is it possible that your ssh-agent didn't know about your keys when
> they read-only settings were made and that at the same time as you
> added the execute bit you either used a shell which was aware of the
> right ssh-agent or added the key to the agent?

Do I have to use ssh-agent explicitly? As far as I know, I don't use ssh-agent. I just do "ssh username@domain.name". Maybe after I logged in while having
the "x" bit set it saved something, maybe until something gets restarted, like the server, the sshd process, or my PC?

> Or, is it possible that you edited either your .ssh/config or the
> server's /etc/sshd_config file to change the allowance of public/
> private key authentication or use of SSH-2 protocol during this
> time?

I don't have access to /etc/sshd_config on the remote systems, and I didn't modify my .ssh/config file. Actually, I don't have a config file in .ssh.

I tested the setup using both "ssh -1 ssh username@domain.name" and "ssh -2 ssh username@domain.name". The default is DSA.