Kyle R . Burton on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 18:10:48 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SSH question

> See, that's just it - I don't want it to EVER "just take me right in" - I'd
> really prefer it if I had to type a passphrase EACH TIME, and THEN get asked
> for the remote host ID and password. An extra measure of comfort, if not
> outright protection.

Then don't ever run pagent ;-)

> And no, I'm not running pagent.

Then you should get prompted....

> I did that - pointed it at the private key that puttygen created. I then
> saved the session.
>
> When I "load" that same session, I *don't* get asked for the passphrase of
> my private key - the only thing I get is "login as" - which is putty asking
> me for the remote host ID I want to log in as.
>
> >   http://www.tartarus.org/~owen/putty-docs/Section6.2.html

When I run putty, I get the main dialog.  Under Session page:

  Host Name:  user@host
  Port:       22
  Protocol:   [x] SSH

Under the Session->Connection->SSH page:

  Private key file for authentication:  c:\path\to\my\private\key\file

I go back to the Session page and save the session under a name 'test'.

Then when I connect using the session 'test' (dblclick on 'test'), it
prompts me for the passphrase (unless I'm running pagent).

Do you have 'user@host' in the 'Host Name' entry box?  You have to tell
putty who you're trying to connect as to get it not to ask you.

Kyle

Enlightenment is like the reflection of the moon in water.
The moon does not get wet and the water is not separated.
        -- Hashida