Mike Leone on Mon, 17 Sep 2001 17:22:40 -0400

Re: [PLUG] SSH question

MJL@session-name",
> > it takes me right in. No asking for my passphrase, even tho I've copied
the
> > public key to authorized_keys.
> >
> > <SIGH>
>
> You mean: "putty -shh MJL@hostname" and not "putty-shh MJL@hostname"
right?
> (just checking)

Right; just a typo on my part. (and yours, too, if you look closely. :-)
putty -ssh

> If you're running pagent and already have your passphrase added to pagent,
> then it should take you right in - as putty will get the private key from
> pagent.

See, that's just it - I don't want it to EVER "just take me right in" - I'd
really prefer it if I had to type a passphrase EACH TIME, and THEN get asked
for the remote host ID and password. An extra measure of comfort, if not
outright protection.

Ideally, if I could get it to ask for the HOST'S passphrase (so then you'd
need 2 pieces of information - the host passphrase, and a valid user ID and
password - provided by me, ahead of time), that would be cool.

And no, I'm not running pagent.

> Under the putty dialog, under the SSH node under the Connection branch,
> there is a text entry box and a browse button for the particular private
> key file to use for authentication - you can set this to point to your
private
> key, and then save it as part of the session.  When I do this, and then
> click on 'load' for that session, and then click on connect, it prompts
> me for the passphrase - unless I've got the key loaded into pagent.

I did that - pointed it at the private key that puttygen created. I then
saved the session.

When I "load" that same session, I *don't* get asked for the passphrase of
my private key - the only thing I get is "login as" - which is putty asking
me for the remote host ID I want to log in as.