LeRoy Cressy on Sun, 30 Sep 2001 10:14:42 -0400

Re: [PLUG] linux sound options

make sure that your kernel has CONFIG_SOUND_ES1371: Esonic 1371 compiled
into the kernel.  It might be wise to compile this not as a module.  On
kernel boot your sound card will be loaded automatically.

A word of caution about sound and some games:

There are some games that use the yiff sound driver and upon exiting the
game the driver is still loaded on the system causing other utilities
like playing CD's inoperative.

"Gerald D. Neale" wrote:

> Have you tried to run sndconfig? I've had good success
> with that and an Creative Ensoniq PCI card (RH 7.1
> though). It might have to do with the differneces in
> the RH 7.1 stock kernel compared to that of SuSe 7.2.
> Did you do a lsmod to see what module is loading
> trying to communicate with the sound card?
>
> See "CHLUG:Linux Sound" for our trials and
> tribulations.
> http://www.chlug.org/sound.php
> --- William Shank <wshank@mbcnet.com> wrote:
> > What are the sound options for linux and what are
> > the differences? I have
> > been having a lot of difficulty with my Creative
> > Ensoniq PCI sound card with
> > SuSE7.2. I think it has to do with the artsd system
> > in KDE (currently using
> > KDE2.2). I never had this much problem with RH or
> > Mandrake. I have tried
> > killing the artsd process and restarting it. I've
> > tried unloading and
> > reloading the kernel modules. I can usually get it
> > to work if I use the
> > YAST2 sound installer, but then it doesn't work
> > after a while - maybe after
> > a reboot and maybe not. Can anyone shed some light
> > on what is going on here?
> >
> > thanks
> >
> > Chris

> =====
> The Cherry hill Linux User's Group
> meets on the first Monday of every month.
> http://www.chlug.org

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <