gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 8 Oct 2001 18:40:15 +0200

Re: [PLUG] X resources - customize

On Thu, Oct 04, 2001 at 02:03:06PM -0400, Eric Allan Lucas wrote:
> Yesterday I asked at the meeting about X resources - turns out that a little
> experimentation (based on the suggestions I received) lead me to the file where
> one can store your own X resources:  .Xdefaults.
>
> This works for Mandrake 8.0 - with other distributions YMMV.

Shouldn't vary with distribution unless you're using a distribution
that doesn't use XFree86. (So far as I know, the only potential X
competitor these days is the Berlin Project--
http://www.berlin-consortium.org/, which it appears DOES have Debian
and RPMs these days, but is still *not* anywhere near complete. When
it is, it'll completely rock provided you've got the graphics hardware
to make it go.)

.Xdefaults is part of an X11R4 (at least, maybe earlier) compliant
or later distribution, which includes XF86 3 and 4 as well as
OpenWindows (Solaris, Tru64 Unix, so forth). Keep in mind that if
you forward, say, xterms from another machine (ssh -X -f <host>
xterm), the .Xdefaults on the machine where xterm is running (<host>
in this example, not localhost) is what will control the look of the
xterm.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net