Fred K Ollinger on Thu, 11 Oct 2001 23:00:19 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Postscript (was Re: John "MAD DOG" Hall)

> >Maybe things
> >have gotten better, but then the problem was that windows always
> >wanted to associate the file with some application which would decide
> >how to print it.
>
> 	Right.  Direct printing of PS files is not something the
> average user does on Windows (or Mac OS) and therefore it's not setup
> as the "norm".  But it's certainly doable on both platforms.

Most mac users don't know this. Clicking a .ps gives an error. I think it
should bring up printer dialog, but I don't work for apple.

One really cool thing is if you print to .ps printer, then you double
click printer icon, you can drag jobs out of the printer onto desktop. Now
you have converted ANYTHING (paintshop pic, word doc, etc) into a .ps
file. If you press option while you drag the document icon onto desktop,
the doc will still print and you'll have a .ps copy, too. There were some
really good things about the old mac desktop. Not so good for those of us
who like typing, though.

> 	Exactly!   HOWEVER, keep in mind that Postscript can also be
> VERY device dependant and that PS generated for one device may not
> print correctly (or even at all!) on another.   This is why there are
> PPD's (Printer Property Descriptions).

Nice. I didn't know this. Thanks for the tip.

Fred