gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 11 Oct 2001 17:35:45 -0400

Re: [PLUG] Postscript, Ghostscript, and pdf

On Thu, Oct 11, 2001 at 04:59:29PM -0400, Fred K Ollinger wrote:
> Was this a postscript printer? I've used this a lot to great success with
> the mac. I'm sure there are many cases where this could fail so I'm not
> saying you are wrong.

Well, it was an HP 4050 (not an Apple) printer, so it's plausible
the ppd was bitchy/poorly formed/whatever. (The printer definitely
shows up with the appropriate HP icon and all.)

I remember routinely getting the "pick an application to use this
document" dialog when dropping PS documents on a desktop printer
(representing the same printer I can use lp foo.ps on from NetBSD
and Solaris, fwiw).

But I really am not sure I've tried this under Mac OS 9.1 (or even
in the past calender year), and I know there have been other
printing problems with those machines (PageMaker refuses to print
while Acrobat has no problems with the PDF output from PageMaker,
for instance), so it's quite possible this is a configuration error.

I own neither macs-that-run-Mac OS nor a printer of any form here at
home, though, and if it works for most people, so much the better.

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net