paul on Sat, 13 Oct 2001 20:50:26 +0200

Re: [PLUG] OT: Help with finding employment please?

> should be easier. If the job is out of their league or not so good: read
> MS maintainane for linux person, then the interview probably won't go
> well, which is good b/c the job wouldn't be any fun anyway.

Actually, a Linux guru should be able to easily adapt to a Micro$oft environment.
Would the interviewer recognize that? Doubt it. But, like myself, if I couldn't bring
Linux in, I would have to move out eventually! That's partly why I'm seeking a job
now.

I think the stress comes from that fact that the interviewer is looking for faults.

> > do you think you work with others" kind of fluff question.  But mostly, it
> > was things like "write me a standard C++ class with public, protected, and
> > private attributes and methods".  Those are the kind of things that the
> > candidate is either going to know or not know, regardless of their environment.
>
> Now this is a good interview.

That sounds like a good way to do a technical assessment.

I'm more of a tech/admin type, but I do some recreational programming. Whenever I
need some JavaScript, I usually find a script and just modify it a bit. Sometimes I
do the same with PHP. My point is that I might not be able to write something from
scratch without a reference of some kind, but I can get a script to do what I want
usually. That explains why I don't apply for programming jobs! That and the fact that
I don't have a BSCS.