Jason Nocks on Mon, 15 Oct 2001 06:20:10 +0200

Re: [PLUG] RE: Re: OT: Help with finding employment please?

I don't think I'm going to say anything terribly new here, but I had been
looking for work recently and just got a new gig (contract) 2 weeks ago. So,
maybe I have something to add.

* Bad news *
First of all, you probably don't want to hear this, but this is not a great
time to be looking. I'm not one to sugar coat things too much, and you
probably know this already. My take is that the "job front" is kind of like
what it was back in '92-'93. That's when I graduated from college with a
BSEE, concentration in Comp. Eng. It took me a long time to find work then.
It took longer than I expected this time arround as well. My last contract
was terminated a month early so that less employees would be let go at the
company I was at. Most of the companies I have contacts with are laying
people off or have hiring freezes. Also, some of the companies out there that
are talking to contractors use this time to try to convert contractors to
employees. I believe that the other contractors from the same group I was in
are still looking for new work. Again, it's not a great time to be looking.
It's the economy plus the "burst of the Internet bubble". Most companies
aren't interested in spending much money right now either. Technology
companies may be worse off than many others.

That's the story on programmer/contract gigs anyway. Not sure about MIS,
general IT, network admin, etc. Also, I don't use headhunters as much
anymore. They can usually find you "something", but it may not be ideal.
Plus, they have noncompete agreements, etc. Not a problem for most people,
but not what I look for recently. Again, not sure if the same applies for
non-programmer opportunities. I'd agree with the people that say things along
the lines of - contact your friends, tell your neighbors, get the word out. I
get most of my work through referrals.

* Good news
Yes, there is light at the end of the tunnel. If you have the background and
are looking for a job that fits your background, keep at it. If you're
persistent, you should find something. If you have background in a specific
area, there's usually a company looking for someone in that area. I don't
think that the company I'm consulting for is hiring any IT folks or
programmers, but they needed someone to come in on a specific project and
help them get it done. A friend from a previous job told another friend that
I was available. That, and a "get it done" attitude and a few days later I've
got a new contract.

You might want to look in other industries than you would normally think of.
This doesn't always apply for programming jobs, but general IT jobs can be
found at all different sorts of companies. Also, brushing up on some
"salesmanship" doesn't hurt either. And by salesmanship, I don't mean lying,
exaggerating, etc. (more on that in a bit) I mean, actually learning about
the sales process, sales approaches, closing the sale, etc. That's an area
most technical people are often weak on, myself included.

If the money starts to get really tight, you might want to think about
finding something with a slightly different slant to pay the bills for a
little while. Potential employers will also prefer to see that you've been
doing SOMETHING to stay gainfully employeed rather than waiting to find the
right opportunity. A fellow programmer friend of mine said to me once "I
don't care if the guy has been flipping burgers, I'd rather see something on
the resume." No offense to anyone who's ever "flipped burgers" (my self
included). Basically, assume you will be asked "the tough questions" and have
answers prepared. If you can't answer a question well when asked by a friend,
you probably won't flub it well when asked in an interview. And, you probably
won't be told what questions you didn't do well on. However, you can always
ask why you didn't get a job later if/when you find out that someone else has
been hired.

As for all the stuff about interviewing, technical assessments, etc. - I've
been on both sides. I've had at least one person tell me an outright lie
during an interview and caught them on it during the job - and had to get the
creep to do the job anyway. You can bet that I haven't spoken highly of him
to anyone that's asked. Not that anyone's asked, he seems to have disappeared
from the scene. Karma has a way of getting around.

Most interviewers don't know what they can and should ask (technically and
legally). Many interviewers don't even want to do the interviewing. I've had
interviewers tell me that I seem quite relaxed during interviews, but I think
that comes from going through the process enough times. I don't think
"simulations" or "practice" is nearly as helpful as actually going through
them. And, again, referrals are extremely valuable.

Just my $.02. HTH.

Good luck,
-Jason Nocks