Derek Wildstar on Thu, 18 Oct 2001 21:40:18 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Ext3 or ReiserFS?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:

> > Now, I've used ReiserFS to good effect in the past, and I'm familiar
> > with it.  I've also heard good things about Ext3.  Does anyone have any
> > personal preferences or anecdotes about one versus the other?
>
> From what I've read, what you *really* want is XFS (as ported from
> Irix, where it's a local file system, not to be confused with xFS,
> which is Berkeley Glunix's distributed, networked file system, which
> also rocks).
>
> But, what do I know, I'm using Berkeley FFS (with softdeps) and LFS...

I like XFS also, it seems faster and gets less fragged than reiserfs over
time.  The only problem I've had with both XFS and ReiserFS is if the
system breaks unexpectedly you end up with some files full of nulls
(XFS) or with extra trailing nulls (reiserfs)...usually whatever
happened to be open for write at the time, so /var/log/* etc.  (for
example I was playing with my Matrox G450 and the X server kept locking up
the machine...when the machine came back XFS had replaced
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4 with the same amount of null bits as there were
characters...syncing first seemed to help a LOT)

I havn't experienced this in normal circumstances, so the mga.o kernel
driver may have been corrputing the file buffers too....but i havn't seen
the problem with ext3 yet.

-joel