LeRoy Cressy on Thu, 18 Oct 2001 18:00:17 +0200

Re: [PLUG] Ext3 or ReiserFS?

Hi All,

If you already have your system as an ext2 you can remount it as an ext3
system and the journel will be built automatically.  Ext3 is great for
migrating from an already working system.  Now the reason that it is not
in the kernel tree is that there are bugs in the ext3 system and the
same can be said for the linux port of the xfs fs.

The Reiser fs is currently in the linux tree because it has become
stable.

Bill Jonas wrote:

> I've got a large new drive I'm going to install in my workstation this
> evening.  I'm definitely *not* going to use ext2 because the thought of
> an e2fsck on filesystems comprising dozens of gigabytes each is just too
> painful to bear. ;)
>
> Now, I've used ReiserFS to good effect in the past, and I'm familiar
> with it.  I've also heard good things about Ext3.  Does anyone have any
> personal preferences or anecdotes about one versus the other?
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
> "They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
> If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir rapelcgvba.

Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )
                       Phone:  215-535-4037          > ^ <