epike on Fri, 19 Oct 2001 23:10:13 +0200

[PLUG] vpn help

Hi

I've patched VPN (ipsec) on my RH6.2 on our home
linux firewall/router and has been working for
around 6 months..however we realized just now
that the computer behind the linux box is unable
to access windows services on the other side..I mean
regular TCPIP connections work (telnet and such)
but not the Windows Shares (network neighborhood
stuff).

basically the VPN is for my wife who
works at home and connects her laptop (WIN NT 4.0)
to their company (Windows servers).  Mostly just
telnet and ftp, but she has to recently access windows
shares.

Any clue how I could make her laptop see the
windows shares on the other side of the linux
box?  I'd look this up this weekend but if you
guys could point me in the right direction that
would be great.

here are some more clues..been months since I
set this so sorry if the info is not that clear.
People with suggestions, please email me at

waver@madugas.dyndns.org

since I will probably have to come up with
something this weekend.

thanks!

1.  Kernel version is 2.2.16-3 patched with
    VPN..

2.  I'm rejecting NETBIOS traffic via tcp
    wrappers in /etc/hosts.deny.  I would
    try opening this tonight but that seems
    pointless since such traffic is now supposed
    to be tunneled to VPN.

3.  Her laptop NT configuration works fine when
    she actually goes to her office and woks
    there..so linux box is blocking something?
    her WORKGROUP name (winNT) is correctly configured
    too.

4.  I am also running SMB for local windows sharing
    but I tested disabling that and problem still
    there.

5. Here are some /usr/src/linux/.config parameters:

#
# Networking options
#
CONFIG_PACKET=y
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_RTNETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_FILTER=y
CONFIG_UNIX=y
CONFIG_INET=y
CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST=y
# CONFIG_IP_ADVANCED_ROUTER is not set
# CONFIG_IP_PNP is not set
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL=y
CONFIG_IP_FIREWALL_NETLINK=y
CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=y
CONFIG_IP_TRANSPARENT_PROXY=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_ICMP=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MOD=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPAUTOFW=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPPORTFW=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_MFW=y
# CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_PPTP is not set
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPSEC=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPSEC_EXPIRE=180
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPSEC_PAROK=y
# DEBUG_IP_MASQUERADE_IPSEC is not set
# CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_GENERIC is not set
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_VS=y
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_VS_TAB_BITS=12
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_VS_RR=m
CONFIG_IP_MASQUERADE_VS_WRR=m