gabriel rosenkoetter on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:31:22 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CD Writer Softwear? And MP3-wav conversion?

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:59:54AM -0400, epike@isinet.com wrote:
> Question, is your CD writer IDE, and are you able to write CD's
> reliably?  I've had bad luck with 2 CD Writers (a Ricoh and a Sony),
> (not in the HOWTO supported list) with the Ricoh I get a bad cd
> around 1 out of 5 and with the Sony I had more bad cd's than good
> ones.  Could be the motherboard or the kernel, I ended up putting
> the cd writer on a Windows95 box.

What speed is the processor?

The system bus?

The IDE bus?

Was there other IDE traffic while you were writing the CD?

If cdrecord's (or whatever) FIFO doesn't stay fairly full, you're
likely to end up with bad burns.

This is why cdrecord wants to use setpriority(2) or similar to make
sure that it doesn't get bumped on the chain. I completely ignore
this and run cdrecord as a regular user, but I'm using one of these:

  cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <PLEXTOR, CD-R   PX-W1210S, 1.01> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
  cd0: sync (100.0ns offset 15), 8-bit (10.000MB/s) transfers

hanging off of a pretty good Adaptec SCSI card. You're far more
likely to see noisy traffic on an IDE bus. Just one of the many
reasons IDE is inherently inferior...

(I can play mp3s without skipping from the same drive where the
image I'm burning resides, burn at 12x, and have never had a bad
CD-R come out of the machine.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net