epike on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 12:59:50 -0400

Re: [PLUG] CD Writer Softwear? And MP3-wav conversion?

re: CD-RW

> What speed is the processor?

dual Pentium Pro Overdrive (333)

> The system bus?

dont know.

> The IDE bus?

dont know.  33 Mhz?

> Was there other IDE traffic while you were writing the CD?

none that I can remember, although there is net connection
at all times.

Also its on its own IDE channel without a slave.  On a Promise
Ultra/33 controller.  (I tried it first on the motherboard IDE channel
but that errors out too).  On the other hand there's another hard
disk on the other channel of that card, that could be it.

It could be also that I patched the Kernel with some ide stuff
that makes it work for the Promise card.  (Its RedHat 6.2).  But
then the Sony CDWriter performed equally bad on another computer,
even with Redhat 7.1.

The really bad thing about it is that, for the Ricoh, if it
errors out I usually need to shutdown the machine to reset
the CD Drive.  If there's an error I can't even eject the CD.

So anyway I could not spend too much time fixing it on that
box (since the linux box is our home router 24/7) so I just
took it out and placed it on the Win95 computer for now.

> If cdrecord's (or whatever) FIFO doesn't stay fairly full, you're
> likely to end up with bad burns.

I dont think thats it, since it errors out really random,
seems regardless of if there's other disk activity or not.

>   cd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <PLEXTOR, CD-R   PX-W1210S, 1.01>
> SCSI2 5/cdrom removable
>   cd0: sync (100.0ns offset 15), 8-bit (10.000MB/s) transfers

hmmm....scsi..nice.

> hanging off of a pretty good Adaptec SCSI card. You're far more
> likely to see noisy traffic on an IDE bus. Just one of the many
> reasons IDE is inherently inferior...
>
> (I can play mp3s without skipping from the same drive where the
> image I'm burning resides, burn at 12x, and have never had a bad
> CD-R come out of the machine.)

12x ??? wow...the most I can burn on that linux box is 6x (the
cd writer was rated at 8x).  Or 2x for audio.  When it works.

Right now I am sticking at the moment for the Windows95 burning
software..I do miss the time when I was inserting blank CD's in
the morning and burning CDs at a remote location...I think
I should raise the funds and go SCSI later..

thanks for the replies!

For now

E.Pike