Zachary Whitley on Sun, 28 Oct 2001 18:36:57 -0500

Re: [PLUG] CD Writer Softwear? And MP3-wav conversion?

On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 11:38, Bill Jonas wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 11:05:24AM -0500, thanous@dca.net wrote:
> > But I am not sure how to get it to work correctly.
>
> I suggest starting with the CD-Writing-HOWTO[1].  When I first installed
> mine, it was the only thing I referred to in order to get mine to work.
> If you still can't get it to work, then come back.  I suggest you read
> it through once before taking any action, as I didn't and I missed some
> things I needed to do, causing me to do an extra kernel compile and
> reboot.
>
> As for software, if you don't like using the command-line cdrecord (for
> data) and/or cdrdao (for audio), I've heard people say good things about
> gtoaster.  The big downside, from what I've heard, is that you have to
> have a 700MB partition on your hard disk to write the CD image to.

No need for a separate partition but you will need around 700MB's of
free disk space.

cdrecord will take care of the conversion from wav->cdr for you with the
-audio arg.Cdrecord also takes a -pad option.(cdrecord has an extensive
man page)

One word in cdr drives...Plextor - The only way to burn.

> For audio conversion, sox is quite helpful.  Unfortunately, I don't
> believe it understands MP3.  I'm not sure if mpg123 does CDDA format or
> not.  (It differs slightly from WAV in that there is a bit of padding at
> the end of the files.)  You could convert to WAV with mpg123 and then to
> CDR with sox.  I do know that mpg321[2] (a Free Software replacement for
> mpg123) will convert directly to CDR format.  ("mpg321 --cdr
> filename.cdr filename.mp3").
>
> [1] http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/CD-Writing-HOWTO.html
> [2] http://sourceforge.net/projects/mpg321/
>
> --
> Bill Jonas    *    bill@billjonas.com    *    http://www.billjonas.com/
> "They that can give up  essential  liberty to obtain a little temporary
> safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."        -- Benjamin Franklin
> If encryption is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir rapelcgvba.

Zachary C Whitley
E-Mail: zachary@whitley.org
Web: zachary.whitley.org
Public Key: available from public key servers