Bradley Molnar on Thu, 25 Oct 2001 19:53:00 -0400

RE: [PLUG] SAMBA and windoze boxes...

IPC -- interprocess communications (i think) -- the first communication
between 2 samba/windows machines is through the ipc -- it gives the listings
of the shares.

as root try this -- smbpasswd -a <username>

enter the samba password you wish to use twice.  This will add the username
to those allowed to logon via samba (if for some reason it is not already).

make sure that in the smb.conf file this line appears

username map = /usr/local/samba/private/smbusers

In the smbusers / username.map (as has been suggested by other users, but,
smbusers is the default) make sure that you have lines like this

like in my previous example

In my case, the username map is in /use/local/samba/private and called
smbusers.  Your's may be elsewhere.  Also, turn on all logging by using

log file = /usr/local/samba/var/log.%m

this will create a log file in /urs/local/samba/var called log.<windows
netbios machine name>.

The log will give you a bit more information about who the samba machine is
trying to login.

Make sure in your username.map or smbusers file you don't have any "*"'s
lying around (that's a star).  This will try to map all users to this user.

But, since you say that the mac is working, you may wish to double check the
settings on the PC.

Make sure that it has Netbios and TCP/IP loaded and also Client for
Microsoft Networks.  Set the workgroup to whatever is set up for you.  If
you need help, give me a call, i do this all the time for my school (ursinus
college).  E-mail me directly for my number.

Oh, wait, i almost forgot, you need to use the same username and password as
on the linux machine.  When that password box comes up, enter your unix
password (or your samba password, if you set it) and go from there.

If this makes no sence, e-mail me and i'll try to straighten it out

-brad

---
Have I got a long way to run -- Collective Soul