gabriel rosenkoetter on Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:40:17 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Trouble w/ procmail

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:00:21AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> There's the problem.  The line you want to use, from procmail(1):
>
> "|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -Yf-||exit 75 #YOUR_USERNAME"
>
> The procmail FAQ has something slightly different:
> http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/users/reriksso/procmail/mini-faq.html#forward
>
> "|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -f-||exit 75#whatever"

Ugh. What's all that garbage doing? Do you know? I sure don't.

The only procmail flag I recommend (which is in neither of the
above) is -t (to make it not bounce when there's a procmail problem,
but just hold the message in the queue for redelivery). All that
environment overwritting cruft (especially IFS) is pretty irrelevant
unless you've got it set to something bad already, and the exit 75
is a bad kludge for -t since you're not actually calling procmail
directly after the pipe.

All my .forwards look like this:

|/path/to/procmail -t

The problems I see with yours, Jon, are the lack of a pipe (that's
what tells the mail delivery system to spawn a shell, as you, with
the program after the pipe, and write the message to it; without it,
it's trying to resolve "/usr/bin/procmail" as an email address and
failing. You should be seeing postmaster messages about this, but
maybe you've got Postfix configured to bail back to just delivering
to your mail spool if it can't read a .forward, not a bad plan,
really), and the inclusion of double quotes. The "s might not
matter, but they're definitely not necessary.

Also, you didn't mention what the permissions on your .forward file
are. It needs to be readable by whatever Postfix runs as and your
home directory needs to be executable by that same entity (group
permissions obviously do apply).

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net