Jon Nelson on Mon, 29 Oct 2001 12:08:20 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Trouble w/ procmail

On 29/10/01 11:30 -0500, gabriel rosenkoetter wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 09:37:19AM -0500, Jon Nelson wrote:
> > > "/usr/bin/procmail"
>
> On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 10:00:21AM -0500, Bill Jonas wrote:
> > There's the problem.  The line you want to use, from procmail(1):
Tried that before...same results.

> > "|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -Yf-||exit 75 #YOUR_USERNAME"
> >
> > The procmail FAQ has something slightly different:
> > http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/users/reriksso/procmail/mini-faq.html#forward
> >
> > "|IFS=' '&&p=/usr/local/bin/procmail&&test -f $p&&exec $p -f-||exit 75#whatever"
>
> Ugh. What's all that garbage doing? Do you know? I sure don't.
>
> The only procmail flag I recommend (which is in neither of the
> above) is -t (to make it not bounce when there's a procmail problem,
> but just hold the message in the queue for redelivery). All that
> environment overwritting cruft (especially IFS) is pretty irrelevant
> unless you've got it set to something bad already, and the exit 75
> is a bad kludge for -t since you're not actually calling procmail
> directly after the pipe.
>
> All my .forwards look like this:
>
> |/path/to/procmail -t
>
> The problems I see with yours, Jon, are the lack of a pipe
It was in there.  I didn't cut and paste and left it out when I typed :).
 (that's
> what tells the mail delivery system to spawn a shell, as you, with
> the program after the pipe, and write the message to it; without it,
> it's trying to resolve "/usr/bin/procmail" as an email address and
> failing. You should be seeing postmaster messages about this, but
> maybe you've got Postfix configured to bail back to just delivering
> to your mail spool if it can't read a .forward, not a bad plan,
> really), and the inclusion of double quotes. The "s might not
> matter, but they're definitely not necessary.
>
> Also, you didn't mention what the permissions on your .forward file
> are. It needs to be readable by whatever Postfix runs as and your
> home directory needs to be executable by that same entity (group
> permissions obviously do apply).

drwx--x--x   29 quincy   quincy       4096 Oct 29 11:14 .
-rw-r--r--    1 quincy   quincy         22 Oct 29 11:14 .forward