Kyle R . Burton on Tue, 30 Oct 2001 17:40:20 +0100

Re: [PLUG] Regarding employment

> Observation from Bill's resume.
>
> * Last employer The Sycamore Group http://www.thesycamoregroup.com
> * Under link "Career Opportunities"
> http://www.thesycamoregroup.com/Career.jsp
> * Impression "wow look at all those jobs"
> * Reality "just because people are soliciting for jobs doesn't mean
> they're hiring"

Actualy, they are hiring.  They just don't have a place for Bill's
skills at the moment.  The Sycamore Group is a consulting company - at the
moment, they can only afford to keep people on staff who they can
manage to bill to clients.  Right now, in this market, that basicly
means senior level developers.  Unfortunately for Bill, he isn't senior
level enough for their current clients.

> Just getting an employer to be honest about there current status with
> regard to hiring is difficult. HR people will always tell you they're
> hiring and companies will send out there junior execs to interview just
> to give them some practice interviewing people with no intention of
> hiring you what so ever.

That's true.  Often, in markets like this, employers have enough people
to get by, leaving a few positions open.  They still look to fill those
positions, but sometimes, like in times like this, they can afford wait
untill they find what they consider the 'perfect' candidate.  Sometimes
employers are willing to bring on what they consider really good people
because they know they can get new business with a really good person,
so, again, they hold off untill they find a 'perfect' candidate.  Sometimes
they don't manage to recognize the 'perfect' candidate when they do
interview them.

Just a few observations.

Sycamore is a pretty good company to work for, they have alot of bright people
working for them.  If you have what they're looking for, I wouldn't hesitate
contacting them.  As they land new contracts or get more work from existing
clients, their needs change so you never know you might be what they need.

Best regards,
Kyle R. Burton

Delusion and the Awakening -
both can come or go slowly or suddenly.