Timothy Lee Young on Fri, 2 Nov 2001 03:00:41 +0100

[PLUG] IPChains Question: HTTP port access

Greetings, all!

I'm new to the world of IPchains firewall, and I'm attempting to secure a
Linux server.  I know a few IPChains basics, such as I have closed off my
designated server to all traffic (types of services, http/telnet/etc) from
all users, except I have it opened for 'all traffic' for certain designated
users.  But here's my question--

Instead of closing off the server the way I have, I'd prefer to leave the
server and traffic open to all, except I'd like to close off HTTP port 3000
to everyone reading it EXCEPT a few designated IP addresses (so these
designated machines can read/pull data from HTTP port 3000).  I have a
network monitoring package running and users can view it's data on HTTP port
3000, and would like only users on select machines (IP addresses) to access &
view the data (web page).  What is the IPchains command/setup to do this?

Thanks, in advance for all your help!
Tim