gabriel rosenkoetter on Sun, 4 Nov 2001 00:30:10 +0100

Re: [PLUG] debian-bsd (was: Re: when kswapd goes wild!)

On Sat, Nov 03, 2001 at 05:16:35PM -0500, Michael C. Toren wrote:
> When I download and compile software from source, I generally make a Debian
[clip]
> packages internally.

Great, that's exactly what pkgsrc (or any sane package system)
already provides.

And pkgsrc already works on the Solaris cluster I admin for
cs.swarthmore.edu.

> The fact that the Debian tools are (in our opinion) better is clear to a
> large number of Debian administrators, who would like the option of using
> those tools on a non-Linux kernel.  Once the port is completed, if that
> ever happens, I have no doubt that there will be a substantial userbase.
> It is my personal opinion that it's the Debian packaging tools that makes
> Debian superior to many alternatives, not the fact that it's a Linux based
> distribution.  The Debian packaging tools simply make unix system
> administration a snap.

I'll be interested to try it. I'm quite comfortable administrating
my NetBSD machines now, but having recently begun teaching someone
else how to take care of the ones that live at Swarthmore, I know
it's not the most intuitive process.

(I would, though, prefer to see most of the BSD userland stay intact
rather than using GNU alternatives, though. There are some good
reasons I think various BSD implementations of utilities are better
than the GNU versions.)

--
       ~ g r @ eclipsed.net