Mike Leone on Tue, 13 Nov 2001 12:48:25 -0500

Re: [PLUG] need stats!! stat!

> > You need one CAL (Client Access License) for every person who accesses
the
> > NT/Win2K server , *and* you need a Terminal Services License (on top of
the
> > CAL) for every user who uses the Terminal Services software that is
running
> > on that server.
> >
> > This doesn't count the licensing costs of the applications that are
running
> > within the Terminal Services.
> >
> > Cheap, it ain't.
>
> Not cheap!  How is that cost compared to running individual Windows
> desktops?

Well, you'd still have the desktop hardware costs, altho they probably would
be lower requirements than if you were running the apps on the desktop.

We use a financial app that is running on a WTS (Windows terminal Service)
at First Union. We access thru a browser via the Internet .. via an ActiveX
control. This kinda mandates Windows (IE) on the client. (they do have a
Netscape plugin equivalent. No word on whether there is a plugin/control
that would work in a Linux browser, presuming that you want Linux on the
desktop).

I'm told that not every software works in a Terminal Services window,
either, altho I have no specific data to back that up.
There may be cost beneifts for TS over indiviual desktops in terms of
licensing (concurrent users rather than installed base, etc)

> At least the administration is centralized.  The clients could be
> Ghosted or Kick Started clones.

That's pretty much the selling point that I've heard- easy administration;
easy updating of software in the individual virtual machines; standardized
environment; no need for updating multiple desktops every 3 years (a
standard corporate practice). Control of the user's environment, mostly.