LeRoy Cressy on Mon, 19 Nov 2001 02:20:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] graphical programming environments on Linux

There are rapid application development enviroments available, but if
you want to develope code like some of the other OS enviroments that
automatically generate thousands of lines of code for the widgets
without you writting a line, but using the mouse to draw your design
then be my guest.  There are some huge bloated apps creeping into the
Linux community that have been poorly written.

What attracted me to Linux in 1994 was that it was small, compact, and
fast like computer programs are supposed to be.  Since that time, other
OS's have become fatter and slower utilizing more system resources than
required.  Look at Apple as they are reverting back to a 30 year old
sleek OS called BSD UNIX with a fancy front end.  But as with any UNIX
you can use any X display you desire including fvwm1.

To answer your question xemacs is nice alternative to emacs which will
run both in a console and an X enviroment.  There are a plethoria of
enviroments for whatever programming enviroment you want.  C. C++, perl,
python, and etc.  Also you can compile your program from xemacs, but it
is better to controle your compile with a well designed Makefile.  This
way you can use whatever to create your interface and C for the
program.  It would even be appropriate to make the app able to run both
on the console and X.

Whatever enviroment that you finally decide to use is your choice.
There are some that still like plain vi as their enviroment, while
others like pico.  It boils down to whatever you are comfortable with
and have learned the keyboard shortcuts.  It will probably be impossible
to learn all of the various development enviroments, but choose one and
go with it.

Remember to have fun and develope the best designed program that you
can.

Adam Schaible wrote:

> Hey everyone, now that I have Mandrake up and
> configured the way I like it I thought I'd ask for
> some opinions from some of the more experienced Linux
> users on the list.
>
> I have been doing a little C/C++ programming for a
> class I take at community college, and right now I use
> good-old-fashioned emacs as my development
> environment. I tried out Kdevelop the other night,
> though, and was really impressed with how much it
> resembled the integrated, object-oriented environments
> I've used on other operating systems.
>
> While I really enjoyed taking Kdevelop out for a test
> run, I thought I'd ask the list if there are any
> other, similar environments in their Linux distros
> that they like to use instead. Any recommendations are
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Adam Schaible
> Conshohocken, PA