lynchman on Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:18:58 -0500

[PLUG] More hard drive problems...

Ugh.

Last week I posted a message on here about the HD on my server box going bad.  I grabbed a new hd, set that up, copied the old system over successfully and everything is now cool on that box (except that I have to boot off of a floppy since it is a 40 gig drive and a really old bios on that box).

So of course, now the HD on my main box is freaking out.  Yesterday, I started getting these errors...

EXT2-fs error - ext2-free-blocks: bit already cleared for block

And it remounted HDA1 as ro.  So on when mounted ro, I ran fsck, and tons of stuff was messed up.  So I fixed them, but it just made stuff worse.

/usr/local is now empty, and now in /var/lib/apt (no idea, don't as me how this happend)
some other stuff is messed up - path information, some emails, etc.

So it is booting ok, but if I do a clean boot and mount ro and do fsck, it still finds errors.  I fix them, reboot, check, then more errors.

I have no idea what to do with this thing.  I know I am going to have to reinstall, but is this drive dead too?  Or will a low level format be best?  I am so damn tired of HD problems.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  If it matters, I am/was using kernel 2.4.14.

Also if this is a HD problem and I need to get a new one what brand is best?  I was using WD for a long time, but then every drive I had from them went bad eventually - and the replacements they sent me were screwed too.  So I have been using Maxtor.  They have been fine until now.  The drive that went bad on my server was a WD, but this one is a Maxtor.  Are good hard drives that hard to come by???  Sigh.

Thanks,
-Pete