Marc Soda on Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:00:12 +0100

Re: [PLUG] graphical programming environments on Linux

I use emacs for all of my development, the latest version (21.1) has a
number of improvements (syntax highlighting in console mode and a
"prettier" X environment) that definitely makes it worth the download.
As for alternatives, if you want something similar to Kdevelop, try
Redhat's SourceNavigator.  I haven't used it much, but it seems to
have some of the features a "good" IDE should have, especially for
C/C++.

On Sat, 17 Nov 2001, Adam Schaible wrote:

> Hey everyone, now that I have Mandrake up and
> configured the way I like it I thought I'd ask for
> some opinions from some of the more experienced Linux
> users on the list.
>
> I have been doing a little C/C++ programming for a
> class I take at community college, and right now I use
> good-old-fashioned emacs as my development
> environment. I tried out Kdevelop the other night,
> though, and was really impressed with how much it
> resembled the integrated, object-oriented environments
> I've used on other operating systems.
>
> While I really enjoyed taking Kdevelop out for a test
> run, I thought I'd ask the list if there are any
> other, similar environments in their Linux distros
> that they like to use instead. Any recommendations are
> appreciated!
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Adam Schaible
> Conshohocken, PA