ian reinhart geiser on Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:00:13 +0100

Re: [PLUG] graphical programming environments on Linux

On Monday 19 November 2001 12:15 am, Zachary Whitley wrote about Re: [PLUG]
graphical programming environments on Linux:
> I think something like anjuta is what you're looking for
> http://anjuta.sourceforge.net
Yes anjuta is a very nice attempt so far.  Basicly it is a GTK/Gnome port of
KDevelop.  Personally as someone who has been working on and with KDevelop
for about 3 years, I can tell you the following:

	A)	If you like to browse your code by namespace/class KDevelop is the best

	B)	If you need a powerful, flexible code editor that has a million plug ins
		and templates, XEmacs is still the only game in town.

	C)	From what I have seen of Anjuta is it is optimized for C, since that is
		what the gnomes like.  Basicly it looks like KDE's editor Kate with all
		of the plug ins installed.

	D)	Anjuta also lacks any real templates, it has a few Gnome/GTK templates
		but no support for KDE. KDevelop support C/C++ GTK, QT, Gnome and KDE.

	E)	I had some problems with the debugger in Anjuta, I was forced back to an X
		term with GDB.  If you want a graphical debugger DDD is about the only real
		game in town.  Kgdb is very nice with KDevelop though, it allows code
		browsing and watch points.

	F)	Anjuta and Glade support is very sloppy compared to KDevelop and QT
		designer.  Personally I think they are both a kludge, and I think both camps
		need to rethink how they develop UIs

So after kicking Anjuta around for a few days i came to the conclusion that
it is KDevelop 0.9 or so...  It is a nice start but unless you are really
want to do C and GTK it really will make your life very difficult. It took me
3 tries to get it to startup on my mandrake box here...

Here are my calls:

	Best C++, multi-document code editor	-	KDevelop
	Best generic, multi-document editor		-	Kate
	Best all around single document editor	-	XEmacs

Note of disclosure, I work both on the KDevelop project and KDE.    I am also
a very heavy C++ developer who dabbles in PHP3.  So take this all with a
grain of salt

Cheers
- -ian reinhart geiser
- --
:-- Ian Reinhart Geiser --:
GPG Key: D6A6 7E16 13A9 B5A7 9E18 D1A7 3F2E B64D 19BC 76F8
System going down in 5 minutes.