MECHDraft on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:08:46 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

The following message was sent by "Mike Leone" <turgon@mike-leone.com> on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 16:01:46 -0500.

> > > Same reason why the majority of people who own a car don't bother to
> learn
> > > how to do their own oil change or tune-ups.
> >
> > I thought you were going to wonder why people don't build their own cars.
> > :)
> >
> > I'm a biker, and learning linux helped me to get interested in fixing my
> > own bike. I think it's a good culture to be exposed to.
>
> Still, you (and me and other people like us) are a minority (and by a
> significant amount) compared to people who don't know; don't WANNA know;
> don't have the TIME to know; and figure that - for them - it's definitely
> worth the money/time/etc to not have to do it (whatever IT is). Bikes,
> computers, cars, plumbing, etc.

I still dont understand why u think "we" are a minority, besides the fact that they THINK its worth the money/time/etc to not have to do it...they are ignorant to the truth thats NOT.  First I gaaruntee you I could change my oil cheaper/faster and with less inconvienence than taking it somewhere...and I its much cheaper and sometimes faster to build your own computer.  Back to the origional story, I would bet that that guy is regretting he ever took his parents to best buy, It woulda be cheaper for them, easier on him, for him to just build the computer for his parents...it takes all of 30 minutes to put a computer together (Excluding installing a OS, and these days you can start that and take a nap if you want) and unless they live next door to best buy it prolly took them that much time to drive there, much less find the computer they wanted, flag down a sales man, then get haggled, and basicly forced into things that they dont really WANT or NEED.
 .