Fred K Ollinger on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:56:23 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Debian 2.2r4 and Promise ATA100 PCI Card

> I cannot get Debian to recognize this card on my linux box at home and
> therefore cannot install Debian, only RedHat recognizes this and is
> currently installed but I would really prefer to have debian on it.  The
> UDMA66 kernel  does not work either, any advice? (other than removing the
> card).

Find out what modules is used for the card (and other hardware) by

lsmod

Install debian.

Compile a kernel, including all modules given for the card, and make sure
that they are installed at boot time by copying the names of the modules
to /etc/modules. Reboot. Now debian finds your card.

Good luck. Welcome back.

Fred