LeRoy Cressy on Fri, 30 Nov 2001 22:24:44 -0500

Re: [PLUG] OT OEM software

This thread has two themes running through it.  The first is the legal
matter brought up by Jon, while the second concerns design and
construction of a computer system.

Clicking on the ``I AGREE'' button without reading what you are agreeing
to is hazardous.  You are signing away all of your rights by that simple
act.  Since this is a Linux list, how many on this list have taken the
time to read the various licenses that are covered in a Linux
distribution.  Also, developers are aware of the various free licenses
that are available and the difference between the BSD and GNU license.

Many people when they install new software on a system never bother with
reading the license, but click OK!  This is especially true of the
Microsoft users who don't even know what they are agreeing to.
Microsoft has gone to great lengths to maintain their monopoly and
number one position.  A google search http://www.google.com on xp and
license brought up this interesting sight
	http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt

I'm not going to argue about the evils of propritary licensing schemes,
but we do need to be careful with what we agree to.

The second part of this thread concerns the design and construction of a
new system.  Most people who buy a system off the shelf have no idea
what a front side bus is, or the speed of the hard drives.  If you are
going to build a system with a gig Hz processor, then you should match
memory speed and have the fastest drives to go along with the
processor.  Most systems that I have seen off the shelf come with a FSB
of 133MHz where 266MHz would be much better.  Also you probably will
never see a off the shelf system with ultra 160 SCSI Hard drives which
operate twice as fast as IDE drivers.

Thus buying an off the shelf system with a gig processor is a true waste
of processor resources.  Of course people will wonder why my computer
doesn't go any faster, but nobody told them that the processor speed is
only one factor in measuring computer speed.  Another item is the size
of the PCI bus, 32 or 64 bit.  Extreme care when selecting a motherboard
is vital in the construction and design of a computer.  Folks buying
systems off the shelf for the most part have no idea what the specs mean
that they are reading.

I think I have said enough, but the only question that I have is why
didn't the one who bought the system at best buy build one for your
parents, thus giving your parents a better system.  You could also make
it a dual boot system so that you could remote administer itand fix it.

--
Rev. LeRoy D. Cressy   mailto:lcressy@telocity.com   /\_/\
                       http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc   ( o.o )