Guillermo Moyna on Sun, 2 Dec 2001 14:51:18 -0500

Re: [PLUG] Desperate call for help - HDD problems...

OK,

Are there any other drives on the controller?  Is the controller
still good?  Is the drive getting the proper power?  How long had the
drive been running since its last power down?

I plugged an identical HDD to the controller and it works, so I think it is either 'sticktion' or bad electronics. My feeling is electronics, as something may have gone poop with the power-outage. Now, has anyone tried swapping either the platters/electronics from one disk to another? If so, what what should I do, and should I AVOID doing?

TIA,

Guillermo

On the possitive side, I hear that those drives come with a very good
warranty.  Is it true that Seagate will replace the drive and recover
the data?  Still, that's no replacement for a backup plan!

(For future reference, a "small" 18GB drive would fit on a tape
and/or it could be mirrored with another 18GB partition.)

As an extreme, last resort solution, you could move the platters to a
new drive to recover the data.  Even if the heads crashed, they could
not have taken out the entire disk.  More than likely it's just a
case of "sticktion" or bad electronics.

> Over the weekend, facilities shut the power down, and all our > machines went down (duh...). Anyway, I rebooted all machines with > no problems, but when I tried to restart our cluster, chaingang, I > got a little message from the initial Adaptec controller, saying > something like 'Can't get the device to do this and that'... Also, > the initial spinning that is audible when you reboot the machine is > gone (i.e., I don't think the disk is even spinning up. It's a 18GB > Seagate Cheetah (SCSI). Needless to say, all the data in that drive > is critical, and no, it has not been backed up (why back up, to > miss the opportunity of having these fun-filled weekends?). > > Any, I repeat, ANY, idea, suggestion, or solution to this will be > greatly appreciated.

+==================-------------- --- -- - - - - Guillermo Moyna, PhD Assistant Professor of Chemistry Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry University of the Sciences in Philadelphia 600 South 43rd Street Philadelphia, PA 19104-4495

 "The only existing things are atoms and empty space.
  All else is mere opinion" - Democritus, 370 B.C.

Office: Grifith Hall 360
Phone:  (215) 596-8526
Fax:    (215) 596-8543
e-mail: g.moyna@usip.edu